[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk and Nortel Meridian interconnection

Jim Van Meggelen jim at digitalchemy.ca
Thu Oct 21 15:05:26 MST 2004

I know someone that's gotten an Asterisk to talk to a Nortel BCM using
H.323, but never to an M1.

If you want to connect to an ITG card you'd have to use the H.323
protocol since Nortel is stuck in the last century. Something like this:

[Asterisk]---H.323-----(VPN tunnel)-----H.323---[ITG card in M1]

No guarantees it'll work, and don't count on much support from Nortel -
you'll get none.

I'd recommend using an Asterisk at both ends and run IAX trunks between
them. Then connect the Asterisk at the M1 end into the PBX via PRI. Like
this:

[Asterisk]---IAX-----(VPN tunnel)-----IAX---[Asterisk]===PRI===[M1 PBX]

Avoid the ITG like the plague, or you will have a nightmare of a time
troubleshooting - the ITG is a mighty buggy animal, and even Nortel
doesn't seem to know how to make it work properly.

Nortel PBXs do not do standards-based VoIP well at all. Talk to them
using what they do well - PRI.

You will be much happier.

Regards,

Jim