[Asterisk-Users] asterisk & ipv6

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Thu Oct 21 13:26:08 MST 2004

Marc Blanchet wrote:

> - no asterisk does not work over ipv6.
> - ipv6 port won't be as easy as I would like to...
> - I'm currently working on it. Had a short discussion with Mark during
> astricon on it.
> - no release date promised...
> - will certainly be available through a different source tree. Too many
> changes in the code and many impacts to try to merge it with current
> sources. When port done, would need to discuss with developers on how to
> integrate these changes.
Marc,

Can we start backwards and write coding guidelines, like
"don't use strings like ip:port with a colon, since a colon is a significant
character in IPv6 addresses"

"size the IP address string for IPv6, size being..."

Also, we need to consider some architecture changes to be able to proxy
from IPv6 to IPv4. How will this affect IAX, SIP and H.323?

Maybe it's time to start a Wiki page named "the Asterisk IPv6 project"
so we can start collecting information, creating guidelines.

For the project: Marc has very good knowledge on IPv6 and is well-known
in IPv6 circles. I was very happy to see him at Astricon, myself being one that
has been asking about IPv6 and Asterisk many times. We need to listen to
Marc. IPv6 is big in Asia and Asterisk needs to run on those networks as
well .

/O
------

This project will be a good addition to our project list
* The Asterisk FreeBSD project
* The Asterisk Documentation Project
* The Asterisk Solaris project
* The Asterisk SS7 project
* The Asterisk testing project

As a side note, we might to create a project page listing these.
Did I miss a project?

/O