[Asterisk-Users] Polycom IP600 features

Ed Rubright ed at rubright.net
Thu Oct 21 09:27:58 MST 2004

Hello all,

I have narrowed down my search for an IP phone for my home office to a
choice between the Polycom IP600 and the Cisco 7960G.  I am leaning towards
the Polycom because it appears to be quite a bit cheaper than the Cisco.
Also, from previous posts to this list, it appears to be difficult to get a
7960 and the Smartnet contract! I have a few questions regarding features on
the IP600 that I couldn't find answers for in Polycoms product docs:

- Is there support for server based directory services, i.e. LDAP?  The
company I work for uses Microsoft Active Directory, and it would be very
nice to configure the phone to use the server based directory.

- Does usage of the speakerphone incur echo in the conversation?  I will use
the phone primarily thru my X100P cards(which already have a small amount of
echo in Xlite), but my long distance calls will be thru IAX2 using Nufone.

- Does the use of a headset really require an external amplifier?  The docs
indicate that it could be used with or without and external amplifier and
you may get some clipping when used without.

- I've seen comments on the list about how hard it was to work with Polycom
because of the stance of "Asterisk is not supported".  How does one go about
getting firmware updates?  I've seen posts indicating that some people can't
get them where they purchased the phone.  I also saw the
www.freedomphones.net listed on the wiki.  Does this contain the latest
firmware?

Thanks in advance,
Ed Rubright