[Asterisk-Users] IP Phones -India

Joe Greco jgreco at ns.sol.net
Wed Oct 20 21:52:11 MST 2004

> On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 17:27:38 -0500, Henry Devito <hdevito at qwest.net> wrote:
>
> > HI I am in the US and have a customer using * in the US they just acquired
> > a call center in India.  Does anyone know if I can legally sell/ship
> > Grandstream IP phones and IAXy's to India?
>
> I am sure you can legally ship them to India but you'll find a
> difficult time getting them through customs unless you plan ahead.
> Make sure the Indian call center is set up "properly" under Indian tax
> law so that they are not liable for any duties, have someone from the
> call center in contact with customs before you ship and have them go
> to the port of entry the day they arrive and try to get them walked
> through. In my experience it is best to use air freight or to fly them
> in as hold baggage yourself.
>
> If you just ship them over you might find they get caught in customs
> or disappear. I've also seen equipment destroyed by Indian customs too
> by leaving it exposed, so make sure the equipment is sealed to prevent
> moisture getting in.
>
> I don't mean to discourage you, it certainly can be done, but you
> *must* do your research first and follow through properly in India.

In the past, when dealing with international issues, we've found it less
stressful to "just send money" and have someone local do the purchasing
and installation.  The distributor will have taken care of getting the
stuff into the country, and there are fewer complications.  No specific
experience with India.

... JG