[Asterisk-Users] IP Phones -India

Scott Lykens slykens at gmail.com
Wed Oct 20 16:30:46 MST 2004

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 17:27:38 -0500, Henry Devito <hdevito at qwest.net> wrote:

> HI I am in the US and have a customer using * in the US they just acquired
> a call center in India.  Does anyone know if I can legally sell/ship
> Grandstream IP phones and IAXy's to India?

I am sure you can legally ship them to India but you'll find a
difficult time getting them through customs unless you plan ahead.
Make sure the Indian call center is set up "properly" under Indian tax
law so that they are not liable for any duties, have someone from the
call center in contact with customs before you ship and have them go
to the port of entry the day they arrive and try to get them walked
through. In my experience it is best to use air freight or to fly them
in as hold baggage yourself.

If you just ship them over you might find they get caught in customs
or disappear. I've also seen equipment destroyed by Indian customs too
by leaving it exposed, so make sure the equipment is sealed to prevent
moisture getting in.

I don't mean to discourage you, it certainly can be done, but you
*must* do your research first and follow through properly in India.