[Asterisk-Users] cheap gig switch? smc, netgear, or 3com?

Jared Watkins jared at watkins.net
Wed Oct 20 20:06:41 MST 2004

Brian Roy wrote:

>Bleh, what "group" said this? The 3Com group? Dell is the WalMart of
>the hardware world. Their pricing is better because they build
>efficiencies. I have 33XX 54XX and I just bought my first 6024 Layer 3
>QOS ready switch. These things are nothing but Ciscos in sheep's
>clothing. They have been rock solid for me and others that I know who
>use them.
>
>-Chuji

I thought I'd chime in with my .02...   At my company we tried to use a
few Dell 24 port GB switches...  within 6 months we had two of them die
on us in ways that were hard to diagnose..  sfp ports would suddenly
stop passing traffic but appear to be fine..  or they would fail
completely but still be pingable.  Maybe this was just a problem with
early versions... but we have gone back to all cisco gear.  Saving the
money just wasn't worth the problems we experienced with dell switches.
That said... some of our smaller offices use the lower end unmanaged
models and they seem to be fine.  As best I can remember.. the ones we
had fail were rebranded SMC gear?

Jared