[Asterisk-Users] Newbie with new Project VOIp

Jim Van Meggelen jim at digitalchemy.ca
Wed Oct 20 19:01:11 MST 2004

Asterisk can integrate all the major voice communications standards.

So if you want to connect VoIP devices, you can do so with any device
that correctly adheres to the following protocols: SIP, H.323 adn IAX.

For analog, you will need to either:
a) Install an Asterisk compliant card (such as Digium's TDM400)
b) Connect a channel bank
c) Deploy an Analog Terminal Adaptor that connects VoIP to the Asterisk,
but provides an analog interface to a line or set.

> 2-Which VOIP phones Can I use with *?

You should be able to use any standards-compliant device (SIP, H.323 or
IAX).

Some popular types of IP phones can be found here:
http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-VOIP+Phones

> 3-I can call from a VOIP phone to analog phone localy in my
> company and
> viceversa, what that I need to do that?

If you can get the devices connected to your Asterisk, you will be able
to make calls between them (along with doing all kinds of other neat
things).

> 4-* support SIP protocol besides H.323?

Yep.

> 5-What about the performance using this?

Performance in Asterisk is affected most by the codecs you use. If you
have a lot of transcoding to do your CPU will have to work much harder.
There are a lot of factors to consider; generally codec decisions come
down to bandwidth vs. performance. The large bandwidth codes such as
G.711 and G.726 are easier on the CPU, while G.729 and GSM will save a
lot of bandwidth, but require far more computing horsepower.

> 6-What points I must take a count to use thisn product?

I'm not sure I understand what you mean here.

> 7.
>
> 8-If I use * I dont need any hardware to communicate with
> Phone, except the
> phone , of course.?

If you have an analog phone, you need an analog interface. For VoIP
phones, each device on a network needs access to the network.

Asterisk doesn't need any special hardware, though. So you won't be
paying big money for some proprietary bits that it can't run without.

If you've got a server you can install Linux on, you can download and
install Asterisk free of charge, and it will work.

Read the wiki at www.voip-info.org
Read the howto at www.asteriskdocs.org

Regards,

Jim