[Asterisk-Users] Re: cannot call Grandstream

Stephen R. Besch sbesch at acsu.buffalo.edu
Wed Oct 20 10:46:01 MST 2004

Michael George wrote:
> I am having trouble with a Grandstream Budgetone 101.  It's at firmware
> 1.0.5.10 and I'm running * 1.0.0.
>
> I have the phone getting a DHCP address and * expects it to register.
>
> When I reboot the phone it does register just fine.  However, after a while *
> cannot contact the phone.
>
> I will call the phone and * will tell me:
>     -- Called grandstream1
> 	 Oct 20 09:41:16 WARNING[98310]: chan_sip.c:681 retrans_pkt: Maximum
> 	 retries exceeded on call 564c44bb0522db003006670a76c2ef9e at 192.168.1.3 for
> 	 seqno 102 (Critical Request)
>
> Looking in teh archives, it seems that that indicates that the registration is
> expired.  I've got the phone set to 60m register intervals (and * acks that
> when the phone registers) but after the hour it doesn't re-register.
>
> I've also tried 15m and 2m register timeouts.
>
> I have Sip Registration and Unregister on Reboot both set to Yes on the phone.
> Register Expiration is 60.
>
> The phone is at 192.168.42.234 and * is as 192.168.1.3.  Both internal but no
> NAT between them.  And the initial registration works fine.
>
> I've searched through the mail list archives and tried all the suggestions I
> could find there, but the phone behaves the same: registration appears to be
> lost.
>
> Incidentally, I set the phone to a static IP (192.168.42.99) and also set *
> from host=dynamic to host=192.168.42.99 but * couldn't call the phone at all
> after that. (I did graceful restarts on * between the change).
>
> Can anyone see what I might be missing?  I don't have the SIP UserID or
> Authenticate ID set to the phone's extension, but the SIP User ID is the same
> as the Authenticate ID which is the same as the context in *'s sip.conf.  It
> doesn't seem that would have an effect, but I thought I'd mention it.
>
> Thanks!

Michael,

I have never been able to get the Grandstream to register reliably -
with any version of the firmware. It sounds like in your test with the
fixed IP, you left the registration option on the phone set to yes. With
a fixed IP and host=IP address, I am pretty sure that you must turn off
registration on the phone. It's useless anyway with fixed IP and just
reduces reliability (as you have discovered the hard way). Asterisk
periodically sends polling packets to the phone, so it will know when it
is reachable and when it is not. And, the phone will still authenticate
against the password, so this should not lower security at all.

Stephen R. Besch