[Asterisk-Users] Sipura or X100P Option

Wed Oct 20 02:45:37 MST 2004

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 00:30:43 -0400, Brent Franks <mwless at mindworks.net> wrote:

> Our client currently has two X100P's running in an HP box that has been
> running for almost a year now with no problems.  They have found however
> that two phone lines are not enough and are bringing in a third phone
> line.  I wouldn't expect this line to be used very often as there are
> only two employees in the office.
>
> I am curious which route to head.  I am hesitant to throw another X100P
> in the box and create the potential for problems,

It may be worth a trial. If the box has troubles with a third card,
throw the toy away and get a Mac with YDL:

http://www.voip-info.org/tiki-index.php?page=Asterisk+Linux+Yellow+Dog

> Has anyone had any experience with Sipura as an FXO?  Are there any
> issues I should know about?

It's probably OK as a backup line. We've got a problem with the SPA-3K
not recognising incoming calls on a Japanese PSTN line, but that
wouldn't be of concern to you if you are in the US or Canada. There is
a slight Echo on the Sipura if you have to raise the TX gain, but
consecutive firmware updates seem to have steadily improved this, so
after a few more firmware updates, the echo might be gone entirely.

Configuring the Sipura can be a bit intimidating. I have never seem
any device with so many settings. However, you only need to play with
a few of them, so once you worked out what to touch and what to leave
alone, this will not be a big deal anymore.

Somebody reported having blown up an SPA-3K and getting support can be
a bit of an exercise in patience.

Other than that the SPA-3K would seem like a very simple upgrade
option in your case and probably good enough.

rgds
benjk

Tokyo, Japan.