[Asterisk-Users] GSM to g729 Conversion

Michael Loftis mloftis at wgops.com
Tue Oct 19 13:00:58 MST 2004

app_voicemail uses ast_streamfile or related.  so no changes would be
necessary.  if it finds a file already encoded in the correct type for the
channel it's about to play on it'll prefer to use that file instead of
attempting to transcode.  when transcoding i believe it will also prefer to
transcode a .wav (which * writes as uncompressed g711 ulaw IIRC) to the
needed codec rather than decompress and recompress say a GSM encoded file.

--On Tuesday, October 19, 2004 16:36 -0300 Marconi Rivello
<marconirivello at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 11:03:31 -0500, Matthew Boehm <mboehm at cytelcom.com>
> wrote:
>> There is no way to convert existing files to g729? The only reason we
>> need the licenses is to access voicemail since they are in GSM.  All our
>> phones have g729 built in. But if you try and access VM, you get that
>> "No coversion for GSM to g729" error. But if all the voicemail sounds
>> where in g729, then we don't need the licenses.
>>
>> Matthew
>
> Take a look at:
> http://www.voiceage.com/codecsite/openinit_g729.php
>
> It has an encoder/decoder for windows (IIRC).
>
> But I don't know if the conversion of the files will solve your
> problem, or if the voicemail application would have to be changed as
> well.
>
> Marconi.

GPG/PGP --> 0xE736BD7E 5144 6A2D 977A 6651 DFBE 1462 E351 88B9 E736 BD7E