[Asterisk-Users] Vonage with Nat - Working

Ferguson, Michael ferguson at BRVMLAW.COM
Tue Oct 19 11:32:20 MST 2004

Jared,
Congrats on your success. I am still battling with mine, achieving one
way success.

-----Original Message-----
From: asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com
[mailto:asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com] On Behalf Of Jared
Watkins
Sent: Tuesday, October 19, 2004 2:19 PM
To: asterisk-users at lists.digium.com
Subject: [Asterisk-Users] Vonage with Nat - Working

After much research and trial and error I've gotten a vonage softphone
account working through a NAT firewall...  I'll be updating the wiki
with this info after I see what sort of feedback I get from the list.  I

don't know that this is the only way to make it work.. but this way does

work for me.

I'll start with the NAT setup...    it shouldn't matter.. but fyi I'm
using a linux firewall with iptables and the fwbuilder package to create

the rules.

The following UDP ports are allowed in.. and forwarded to your internal
asterisk box.

8000 - 8020
5060 - 5061
10000 - 20000

in sip.conf

[general]
externip = <your external address>  (possible dns name too?)

; While not required... I found the following useragent string from the
softphone they provide...
; it does not seem to make a difference if you use it.

;useragent = "X-PRO Vonage release 1102t"

; example
; register => 17045555555:PassW0Rd at sphone.vopr.vonage.net:5061/vonage-in

register => <your full softphone number including 1>:<case sensitive
password>@sphone.vopr.vonage.net:5061/<incoming call context>

; Next.. the specific vonage entry in sip.conf

[sphone.vopr.vonage.net]
secret = <your password>
username = <full softphone number>
insecure = very
disallow = all
allow = ulaw
port = 5061
host = sphone.vopr.vonage.net
nat = yes
type = peer
canreinvite = no
dtmfmode = rfc2833
fromuser = <your softphone number>
context = vonage-in

Then... in extensions.conf I have the following example for incoming
calls....

[vonage-in]
exten => 1NXXNXXXXXXX,1,------ some acton

For outgoing calls I use something like this...

Dial(SIP/${EXTEN}@sphone.vopr.vonage.net)

I use macros in my extensions file... but that's the basic idea...
With these settings I'm able to make and receive calls using a vonage
softphone account from behind a NAT firewall.  I hope that is of some
use to others out there...

Jared

To UNSUBSCRIBE or update options visit: