[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk on PowerPC v. Intel/AMD

mattf mattf at vicimarketing.com
Tue Oct 19 10:50:28 MST 2004

With today's apple release of faster/cheaper hardware(PowerPC 1.8GHz for
$1499) and the bragging I've heard by several Mac Hardware Asterisk users
about how it's SO much better on PowerPC than on Intel/AMD.

I was wondering if anyone has any side-by-side comparisons of capacity on
Mac hardware vs. Intel/AMD hardware, doesn't have to be anything official,
just some people with real-world asterisk on PPC experience. I'm interested
in number of Sip -> Zap concurrent conversations as well as just how many
pure Zap channels you can have running concurrently on the Mac hardware
platform(One user bragged of three quad T1 digium cards all being in use at
once[over 200 Zap channels]).

Are these claims true?

Is Asterisk easier to install on YellowDog or is another distro better on
PPC Hardware?

How much does clock speed of the PPC matter from 1.8GHz-single to
2.5GHz-dual in terms of capacity?

Any other catches when running Asterisk on PPC?

Yes, I have read the Wiki on this subject:
http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk+MacOSX+Support
http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk+Linux+Yellow+Dog

Thanks,

MATT---