[Asterisk-Users] Fax over IP doesn't works

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Tue Oct 19 10:05:52 MST 2004

Darren Sessions wrote:

> We used spandsp on the voip side. Our inbound vendor sets the call up
> G711 and spandsp answers. It's a bit slow as it seems to only
> negotiate v29 terbo, but it works.
>
> Finding the correct version of libtiff was a pain. One sub version
> off, and it wouldn't work. Wasn't so much that it was a hard to get it
> to work, just a lot of tweaking to get it to work. Tedious.

It only supports V.29 (there is no terbo) ofor patent reasons. I have
nearly finished V.17, but I'm unclear if the patent on its trellis
coding has run out.

libtiff and timing slips are the two big issues, and there is little I
can do. The recent libtiff security patches should fix most of the
libtiff issues, I hope. Why so many people have timing problems has
still to be resolved. Some have been misconfigured E1s/T1s, but there
seem to be plenty of others. There is nothing I can do about that within
spandsp.

spandsp on the VoIP side will always be a little flaky, I'm afraid.
There is little I can do about that either. Building spandsp was
actually a step towards T.38. That is why I have not been too interested
in a HylaFAX interface (although one is in progress).

Regards,
Steve