[Asterisk-Users] Problem with NFAS trunkgroups

Tony Mountifield tony at softins.clara.co.uk
Tue Oct 19 08:01:19 MST 2004

Anyone here know about NFAS trunkgroups?

I have a TE405P card with spans 1, 3 and 4 connected to T1s. I have
happily had NI2 PRI running on them with each trunk having its own
D-channel. Using v1-0 from CVS.

/etc/zaptel.conf has the following:

span=1,1,0,esf,b8zs
span=2,0,0,esf,b8zs
span=3,0,0,esf,b8zs
span=4,0,0,esf,b8zs
bchan=1-23
dchan=24
bchan=25-47
dchan=48
bchan=49-71
dchan=72
bchan=73-95
dchan=96
loadzone = us
defaultzone=us

For non-NFAS, /etc/asterisk/zapata.conf has the following:

[trunkgroups]
#nothing
[channels]
switchtype = national
signalling = pri_cpe
group = 1
channel => 49-71,73-95
group = 2
channel => 1-23

With this config, I could successfully make calls on all B-channels.

Now I need, if possible, to use NFAS. I will be using it on four trunks,
with one primary and one secondary D-channel, and so 94 B-channels. To
test this, the telco has set up NFAS across two of the current trunks,
spans 1 and 3, with primary D-channel on span 1 (chan 24) and secondary
on span 3 (chan 72). Span 2 is still not connected, and Span 4 is a
standalone trunk.

I have changed /etc/asterisk/zapata.conf as follows:

[trunkgroups]
trunkgroup => 1,24,72
spanmap => 1,1,1
spanmap => 3,1,3
[channels]
switchtype = national
signalling = pri_cpe
group = 1
channel => 1-23,49-71
group = 2
channel => 73-95

What I find now is that I can make a call on channel 1, but no audio is
passed. I cannot make a call at all on channel 49. I can still make
calls on channels 73 to 95 and audio IS passed correctly.

Showing the first span gives me the following:

host1*CLI> pri show span 1
Primary D-channel: 24
Switchtype: National ISDN
Type: CPE
Window Length: 0/7
Sentrej: 0
SolicitFbit: 0
Retrans: 0
Busy: 0
Overlap Dial: 0
Switchtype: National ISDN
Type: CPE
Window Length: 0/7
Sentrej: 0
SolicitFbit: 0
Retrans: 0
Busy: 0
Overlap Dial: 0

which looks correct. If the telco takes the primary D-channel down, the
secondary changes from Standby to Active and I get a message to say it
has switched.

But this doesn't look right:

host1*CLI> pri show span 3
No PRI running on span 3