[Asterisk-Users] ZapRAS from both sides

Ulexus ulexus at lifelabs.net
Mon Oct 18 21:16:29 MST 2004

I am flailing around here trying to make ZapRAS function reliably with
an asterisk box on both sides.  My interpretation of the documentation
and the wiki is as follows:

PRI_CPE side
---------------
zapata.conf:
   minunused=2
   minidle=1
   idledial=6999
   idleext=6999 at idle

extensions.conf:
[idle]
exten => 6999,1,ZapRas(debug|64000|noauth|multilink|
netmask|255.255.255.0|192.168.10.1:192.168.10.2)

PRI_NET side
--------------
extensions.conf:
[incoming]
   exten => 6999,1,ZapRas(debug|64000|noauth|multilink|
netmask|255.255.255.0|192.168.10.2:192.168.10.1)

This would seem to be reasonable:  The cpe side dials out 6999 on the
PRI, which goes to 6999 on the net side, which starts pppd on the net
side.  Then, cpe side sends the call to 6999 at idle, where pppd is started
on the cpe side.

The only problem is, this doesn't work.  The cpe side never starts pppd.
    I can see the net side starting it for every channel that the cpe
calls, but it eventually times out, receiving no packets from the cpe side.

This does not seem to be a fluke of configuration, since, if I change
nothing but the side with the idledial,minused,minidle,idleext stuff,
the same things happens in reverse.

Even more frustratingly, if I configure both sides identically (except
for the IP addresses reversed, of course), it sometimes works.  Most of
the time in this scenario, though, I get what appears to be a race
condition (as I would expect), and the D channel goes up and down,
ZapRAS spews calls everywhere, and nothing connects.  However, this is
the only configuration I have yet tried that at least _sometimes_ works.

Can anyone shed any light on this process?

Thanks,

--
Ulexus
ulexus at lifelabs.net