[Asterisk-Users] VoIP over 1xRTT

Brian McSpadden mcspadden at gmail.com
Mon Oct 18 14:18:57 MST 2004

Well, it probably depends...I think it is a great idea, but I'm just
not yet convinced that its reliable enough to deploy to an end user.
As the "Phone guys" and the " IT guys" we can put up with a lot, and
still use it, simply because we think it is cool, and know why it is
working the way it does. End users in my experience, have a much lower
tolerance. If they're in a car, they want it to work every bit as well
as a cell phone. Which, it might do, some of the time. Sprint's 1xRTT
network is very good, but during peak voice times, it is nearly
impossible to open a data session, let alone transmit real time data
over it.

Now, Sprint and Verizon are both going to be rolling out high speed
data networks based on CDMA EV-DO, which will (in threory) give up to
2.4 megabits bandwidth, with much lower latencies. That is going to be
great for VoIP. Verizon has deployed it in many areas, Sprint will
begin their rollout shortly, I believe.

Brian