[Asterisk-Users] HandyTone 486 vs. Iaxy

Paul Dugas Paul at DugasEnterprises.com
Mon Oct 18 07:57:57 MST 2004

Josh Krueger said:
>> I like the fact that the HandyTone has 2 ports...
>
> It actually only has one port. The second port you speak of is a backup
> line. You plug a pots line into the "Line" port, and its a failover line
> in case the internet connectivity goes down. Kind of a good thing to have
> in case theyre using it as the primary line.

Just ordered a Sipura SPA-3000 for this reason exactly.  Didn't get the
HandyTone 486 becuase the FXO interface is only accessable from the FXS
port and only when power is down or it fails VoIP registration.  From what
I've been able to gather, the SPA-3000 works much the same when power or
VoIP is down but it makes both the FXS and FXO interfaces available as
separate SIP channels for * to use when all is well.

I'll be putting the SPA-3000 inline between the outside line and the
rats-nest of existing phone wiring in my house.  The goal is to cutover
one weekend without my wife noticing.  Gorilla VoIP!  I can't believe how
excited I am about a friggin piece of telecom hardware but this is getting
to be adictive.  What a geek ;)

Paul

--
Paul A. Dugas                               Dugas Enterprises, LLC
email: paul at dugasenterprises.com            1711 Indian Ridge Drive