[Asterisk-Users] HandyTone 486 vs. Iaxy

Deon Rodden drodden at webunited.net
Mon Oct 18 07:51:46 MST 2004

I think the Iaxy gets better every day, however our company for now uses
Sipura Devices. The 2 VOIP ports you're looking for can be found in the
Sipura SPA-2000. The 1 VOIP, 1 PSTN port (like the HT 486) is in the
SPA-3000 and for the cheapest, you can get a 1 VOIP port model in the
SPA-1000. We've had bad luck with Grandstream in general, we don't want to
go anywhere near there unless we have to. I personally have a HT-286 at home
and it works fine, but so do the Sipura's.

Where we had bad luck in is the BudgeTone phones, they're results are so
mixed we don't even know where to begin. 1 client uses them, they're fine.
Another client uses them, they break up, the audio is bad in 1 direction, 1
call will be fine, the next won't, etc. so my superiors don't want to trust
the Handytone to have the same flaw.

We continue to keep a watch on Iaxy. However general policy right now is IAX
for Asterisk-Asterisk communication, and all clients/end users are SIP (or
Zap). Everything is subject to change though.