[Asterisk-Users] Simple phone question

Joe Greco jgreco at ns.sol.net
Sun Oct 17 11:40:03 MST 2004

> 	Thanks for all the info Joe.  I would really like to avoid cisco
> phones if possible.  We've been bitten so many times by them already (Cisco
> Routers, Access Routers, Switches).  Generally they provide no support
> without a contract, and even that does not keep them from end-of-lifing
> their products every year (or it least that's what happened with the brand
> new gear we've bought from them so far.. i.e. as5200, as5350,
> catalyst3500xl).

Yeah, that's a problem, for sure.  It's a "no one ever got fired for buying
IBM" kind of thing.  Actually, I'm fairly impressed with the 7960 though.

> I'd prefer someone else who will provide firmware
> fixes/updates without a contract.

That'd be, let's see, um, oh, "everyone except Cisco" I think.

My own reading suggests that Polycom would be the next thing to try.
They have a number of phones roughly equivalent to the various Ciscos,
followed fairly closely by the Snom phones.  You will, of course, hear
other opinions.

> Say, where's the wiki?

You haven't found the WIKI?  http://www.voip-info.org ...

*Very* useful.