[Asterisk-Users] IAXy setup

Jim Van Meggelen jim at digitalchemy.ca
Sun Oct 17 11:02:19 MST 2004

> -----Original Message-----
> From: asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com
> Wilson Pickett
> Sent: October 17, 2004 2:58 AM
> To: Asterisk Users Mailing List - Non-Commercial Discussion
> Subject: Re: [Asterisk-Users] IAXy setup
>

> Butting in because I own one too:

You're *not* butting in! This is a community. Everyone's comments are
welcome and valuable.

> > 1. The MAC address needs to be visible on the unit.
> Yes, Mark & Co, this is a good idea.
>
> > 2. DNS support. The IAXy needs to be able to handle names.
> Too much to ask in such a simple device. Even though we'd all
> like to see it.

It may be a simple device, but it's also a $100 device. I can buy many
devices for far less than $100 that can handle DNS (just look at your
average SOHO router/switch). Keep in mind that if it was a SIP ATA it
would have to support DNS, and those can be had for roughly the same
price as an IAXy. I don't think DNS is too much to ask for at all.

> > 3. Restore to factory.
> Yes, please. I almost paralyzed my "paper clip hand" before I learned
> that the reset button was only there for "aesthetic purposes".

Yeah, that kinda blew my mind.

> > 4. Some kind of TFTP, SSH or whatever is needed to allow
> connection and
> > configuration of the device.
>
> I can see why this is not the case. However, if some kind soul would
> make a Windows command line  "iaxyprovision.exe" I'd be happy.

Sorry, but I CAN'T see why this is the case. Again, I'm back to my
argument that there's plenty of devices in the same price range that
have all kinds of administrative flexibility. Think about this: why is
the IAXy stuck using a non-standard administrative interface? That is
very uncommon in the world of networking hardware.

I would like to think that the IAXy is built on a pretty flexible
platform. For example, the FXS card in it is obviously the same one
available for the TDM400. If that is so, it seems that (physically at
least) the IAXy would also be capable of handling the FXO daughtercard.
I'm hoping we'll be seeing an FXO IAXy at some point.

I am aware that what I am asking is not necessarily simple. I am not
suggesting that it'd be easy to implement the changes I'm suggesting;
but easy or not, the IAXy needs to improve its functionality.

It's a good first effort . . . no, make that a great first effort. As
has been noted before: what it does, it does extremely well, with no
real bugs to speak of. That is an inspiring accomplishment, and is no
small part of the reason why I am very enthusiastic about its future.
But I feel that it is still much more a prototype than something that is
optomized for wide-scale deployment.

It's very much a matter of opinion, I suppose.

Cheers,

--
Jim

> ---