[Asterisk-Users] IAXy setup

Brian lists001 at brianchristie.com
Sat Oct 16 23:47:10 MST 2004

Andres Tello Abrego wrote:

> Jim Van Meggelen wrote:
>
>> Actually, the IAXy is really very immature, and is desperate for several
>> enhancements:
>

> Yeap, rigth.
>

>> 1. The MAC address needs to be visible on the unit. As it stands the
>> only way to determine the identity of the thing is packet sniffing or
>> looking through logs. This is tolerable in a lab, but ridiculous in
>> production. What if I want to program 100 of them, and assign IP
>> addresses based on MAC addresses?
>
> Be methodic.
> Place a label of the ip used.
> Is on production, at fixed position: use fixed ip.
> Is on production, not fixed position: shellscript + xforms and you have
> a popup to tell where your iaxy is. Not the best solution, but, not a
> critical issue. At least not for me.
>
>> 2. DNS support. The IAXy needs to be able to handle names.
>
> Static * box ip using vpn. You need extra hardware, but due the dhcp and
> nat-piercing capabilities, you can live without this...

So you are suggesting that I require everybody I give an IAXy to to also
use a hardware VPN endpoint device?

That is just not realistic. IIRC one of the selling points of IAX is
that you can go through NAT without having to use such things as VPN's.

>> 3. Restore to factory. There is currently no documented method to resore
>> an IAXy to factory defaults. This means that if you have a stock of them
>> that may or may not have been pre-configured, you'll need to do more
>> packet sniffing to figure out what the IP address is.
>
> Yes, this is an issue, iaxy unit do have something like a reset switch,
> I used, no luck. That where I relized to be methodic. Iaxy at
> production, label, not at production, provided with a generic
> 192.168.0.2/255.255.255.0 192.168.0.1 gw 192.168.0.1 * bpx
> configuration. Not to die for.

What if I need to use DHCP because I give one to somebody to use when
they are traveling?

>> 4. Some kind of TFTP, SSH or whatever is needed to allow connection and
>> configuration of the device.
>
> ssh needs a lot of hardware, tftp, maybe... providing works good for me.
> You may have a point.
>

>> I also love the IAXy (I use them happily in my lab), but it is much more
>> of a beta device at this point. I really couldn't feel comfortable
>> deploying them at customer locations until the management functions are
>> improved.
>
> I think, iaxy is a very well tougth product, and I´m using it at
> production. Mainly becose, it doesn´t have too much technical issues, it
> works perfectly with * and there is nothig a vpn + routing cannot solve.

It just doesn't make sense to _require_ the use of vpn hardware in
addition to the IAXy. (yeah it could be a good idea in certian
cases...for example if you MUST have the call encrypted.)