[Asterisk-Users] [OT] HylaFAX and DID

Darren Nickerson darren.nickerson at ifax.com
Fri Oct 15 15:10:51 MST 2004

Michael Welter writes:

> Does anyone have experience with a Fax Modem that accepts the DID/DNIS
> number?  Does HylaFAX support this modem?

Michael,

To be honest, it depends upon what you mean by 'the DID/DNIS number'. In
particular, not the number itself but the technology you're going to be
using to deliver it to HylaFAX.

In the analog world, you have a few options:

1. Get yourself some analog DID trunks from the telco. They actually signal
the DID to the device as part of the call setup. They're expensive, and
relatively rare beasts though. This option also requires you to have a fax
board that understands what an analog DID trunk is. As far as I know you'd
be limited to the MultiTech MultiModemDID, and the Brooktrout TR11D did fax
boards. The Multitech gives you one DID line per device, whereas the TR114
can have up to 4 of them. Finally, be aware that anlog DID trunks are
receive only ... you can't send outbound faxes. Note that this options does
not involve Asterisk, ... I'm not aware of a way to have Asterisk provide
analog DID truinks.

2. Assuming you're using Asterisk and you 'know' the DID/DNIS when the call
comes in, you could discard your caller-ID information and replace that with
the DNIS digits when you send the call down an analog line to HylaFAX. In
that case, any ole' modem will suffice, as long as it supports caller-id.

3. If you must preserve CallerID, you should be able to convince asterisk to
play DTMF tones to the fax modem when it answers to signal the DID digits.
Brooktrout TR114/1034 cards, and also some faxmodems when configured to do
so in HylaFAX, have the ability to listen for, and interpret these tones and
pass them through to HylaFAX.

In the digital world, DID comes for free. Digital fax boards that work well
with HylaFAX in our experience include Eicon Diva Server T1/PRI and the
Brooktrout TR1034 T1 boards.

-Darren

--
Darren Nickerson