[Asterisk-Users] FXO/FXS card

Luis Vazquez luis at teledata.com.uy
Thu Oct 14 08:29:46 MST 2004

TC, please re-read my statement:
"T1 plus channels bank is a solution for USA but not ... other countries"

and note the "T1".
So "T1" channels banks (the ones proved an referenced in the wiki, most of the list messages and all the asterisk documentation) are developed to be used in USA so their signaling (is only compatible with USA POTS signaling (whe have bought many CAC AccessBankI here, acceptable price, but only usefull for FXS). Same for Adtran channel banks as long as we have found in the internet. I guess this respond your last question on Marcelo's comments.

Respect to E1 channel banks: as stated by Marcelo E1 channels banks are not a clear option because of high costs, I've searched the internet and the lower price for these devices (with the FXO cards included ) is U$2000 and above. Not acceptable for a deal with a small/medium company with 6 to 12 FXO lines, lesser if you firt have to buy the product to test if you are lucky and it works with Asterisk (as is stated many times by mainstream asterisk developers E1 zaptel drivers are much less tested than T1).
On the other side, trusting like idiots first on Voicetronix and then on Digium Support ("Yes this card works perfectly with Asterisk, and we have many clients using them", "FXO modules are perfect to deploy a PBX with up to 12 PSTN lines") we have wasted to much money in these cards (1400 U$ in voicetronix os12 and close to $3000 in many TDM04B's) just to find none of them work's in an acceptable way (static noice, system frezes, asterisk frezes/crashes, stucked channels, hangups, and many etc)
Not a good start point to ask the boss to spend 2500 more bucks to play with some brand new E1 channel bank.

Regarding your question respect our PSTN signaling protocol, here we use Siemmens an Ericcsons pstn exchanges, and the signaling is 425 Hz tone pulses with diferent cadence for busy(500T-500P), disconnect(200T-200P-200T-600P), congestion(250T-250P), ringing(1000T-4000P), etc. I think this kind of signaling (diferent frequencies diferente cadences) is used in many/many countries in the world out there.
We also can purchase (incoming/outgoing) disconnect supervision service by polarity reversal on every PSTN line if we need it.

Best regards
Luis

Pd: what fkth is mfg?