[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk Post Paid Application

Thu Oct 14 03:26:56 MST 2004

On Thu, 2004-10-14 at 20:09, Dido Sevilla wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 20:46:48 -0600, Darren Wiebe <darren at hagenhomes.com> wrote:
> > I have taken the astcc program which is designed for calling cards and
> > used it to create a very basic post-pay system.  This allows your users
> > to make multiple calls at one and puts the cost against their card.
> > Their card is allowed to run into negative balances.  This is a very
> > simple system.  Please be aware that this is only in beta status.
>
> Hmm... Isn't what you've described a *prepaid* system? I pay before
> using the service, and  I get to use it until I consume the value I
> paid...? A postpaid system means that I pay *after* using the service,
> usually this connotes monthly service fees... That seems to be the
> terminology used by my country's telecom services, and it seems to be
> the same elsewhere as well.
>
> Just a thought. It may confuse people later on.

I think the main distinction is in the third last sentence "Their card
is allowed to run into negative balances."

ie, they can use more than they have paid for. I would assume that there
is no requirement that their starting balance should begin at more than
zero. ie, your (mine anyway) normal telco phone bill would start at zero
(when first connected) and during the month, you will use it, hence, it
will go negative. Eventually they send you a bill, you keep using the
service, moving further into negative. Eventually, you pay the bill, but
generally, never reach zero until your final bill (after they have
disconnected your service) is fully paid.

Regards,
Adam