[Asterisk-Users] SNOM 190: Good or crappy

Joris Trooster / Interstroom trooster at interstroom.nl
Thu Oct 14 02:03:22 MST 2004

Hi Sudhir,

> I purchased couple of SNOM 190 phones last week. Connected them to the
> Asterisk server, and they seemed to work fine. However, after sometime
> they seem to lose registration with Asterisk as I can make calls but
> cannot receive calls.

We do not have these problems with the snom 190. It is probably a
combination of your settings in sip.conf (maxexpirey & defaultexpirey)
and the 'Proposed Expiry' of the snom (defaults to 1 hour,
user_expiry1: 3600)

> The headset (has Lucent's logo on them but look like Plantronics')
> would
> not work properly either. There is no audio on the other side whereas
> the same headset works great with GS HandyTone-Analog Phone
> combination.
> Finally, I tried putting an amplifier in the middle and now the headset
> works ok.

Do you have the original snom headset? Our snom headsets do not have
any logo on it. One of the tech people from Snom told me they have a
built-in amplifier for the microphone. Did you connect the headset to
the special RJ connector? We also changed the volumes:
headset_device&: headset_rj
vol_headset_mic!: 8
vol_headset!: 15

In the beginning we had big problems with the headset because of an
annoying  buzzing sound. With help of Snom we figured out that a
shielded UTP cable, connected to a grounded switch (or PC) solved this
problem.

> The handset keeps falling off the cradle. Very poor design IMO.

Yes, could be better, but not really annoying.

Regards,
Joris