[Asterisk-Users] RxFax multiple pages

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Wed Oct 13 05:39:21 MST 2004

Vladyslav wrote:

>Hi All.
>How to receive multiple pages with rxfax ?
>
>Here is what I have:
>exten => 10,1,Setvar(FAXFILE=/var/spool/asterisk/fax/${UNIQUEID}.tif)
>exten => 10,2,Setvar(EMAILADDR=my at email.net)
>exten => 10,3,rxfax(${FAXFILE})
>exten => 10,4,system(/usr/local/sbin/mailfax ${FAXFILE} ${EMAILADDR}
>"${CALLERIDNUM} ${CALLERID}")
>
>mailfax is a program that converts from tiff into jpeg and send a fax to
>my email.
>
>When multiple pages were sent I received only the last one.
>On the asterisk console I could see that second page is using the same
>file name as the first one ( and this is a problem I think).
>
>Does anyone have a success with that ?

You can't properly convert a TIFF file to a JPEG file. JPEG files
contain only one image. TIFF files contain entire documents. If you try
to convert a multi-page TIFF file to a JPEG file the result will depend
on the conversion tool. Most tools are too stupid to do anything
sensible with multi-page TIFFs. You might get the first page, or the
last, or even some random junk. Actually most image handling tools
really suck, and they suck worst when handling TIFF.

Regards,
Steve