[Asterisk-Users] Mesh Networking & SIP

Thomas Hutton pres at nicheware.com
Tue Oct 12 12:41:57 MST 2004

Hi,

I'm trying to run SIP phones on a locustworld wireless mesh network.  If
anybody isn't familiar with mesh it might be very interesting to look
into - http://locustworld.net   Anyway, they claim they are doing an sip
proxy in each node now.  My nodes show that sip proxy is supposedly
available and up, but no matter how I set up my grandstream handytone I
can't get it to use the sip proxy.  I can manually add IPTABLES rules in
a shell and get the phone to register to asterisk for a short time
(without proxy, only one hop on the mesh from the gateway) but that soon
dies and the mesh node seems to ignore the phone after it checks in with
locustworld on one of its scheduled intervals.

If anybody is familiar with locustworld, their support might seem rather
unimportant to them- it's definitely nothing like the Asterisk
community.  I suspect they are too busy making money to care about
dealing with support without big contracts, much less encouraging a
healthy community like one finds here.

So to rephrase my question a bit, hoping to make it appropriate to this
venue - using sip proxies between Asterisk and a device, does anybody
have a few pointers on what should be entered into the device.  I've
tried using IP addresses of both internal and external interfaces on the
mesh node but nothing seems to work.  The wiki has some general stuff on
proxies, but nothing of very much detail.  It almost seems like SIP
proxy info should be "pumped out" to the device via DHCP.  Any
suggestions?

Thanks,

Thomas Hutton