[Asterisk-Users] * box hangs after a couple of days...

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Tue Oct 12 12:12:09 MST 2004

On Tue, 2004-10-12 at 20:54 +0200, Florian Overkamp wrote:
> Hi Steven,

I basically am not impressed with any IDE software raid setup especially
that uses onboard IDE controllers. If the IDE drivers are sub optimal,
the machine could be very stable under most situations. It wouldn't be
fast, but it would be stable. If you start stacking up IDE requests and
they are being regularly interupted by the zap hardware, it might cause
trouble.

Part of the regular suggestions is to remove any hardware that can lock
up the system for an significant time. The frame buffer is a regular
culprit for taking up too much time. Knowing how much performance gain
you can get on a system with mild disk activity when you start working
with hdparm, you have to wonder what kind of hit you get when you have 2
or more waiting for service.