[Asterisk-Users] * box hangs after a couple of days...

Chad Scott chad at idworld.net
Tue Oct 12 11:44:00 MST 2004

You shouldn't be seeing these sorts of problems regardless of how the
zaptel drivers are performing.  The kernel should panic and the system
halt if things go awry.  If the system hard locks, that's almost always
a hardware issue of some sort.

What your problem sounds like is some conflict on the hardware level,
perhaps with interrupt handling or buffering.  The zaptel cards
generate a lot of interrupts for timing purposes, so perhaps your
motherboard can't cope?

I suppose it's possible that you got a bad zap card, but I'd call that
the rarest of the various potential causes.

If it's any help, I have an older Dell 500MHz system (upgraded to 1GHz)
here with 256MB of RAM, one IDE drive, one DVD-ROM, and a X100P and
TDM400P with one FXS.  The system has been up for 40+ days without
issue.