[Asterisk-Users] * box hangs after a couple of days...

Michael Loftis mloftis at wgops.com
Tue Oct 12 11:32:38 MST 2004

--On Tuesday, October 12, 2004 13:15 -0500 Steven Critchfield
<critch at basesys.com> wrote:

> You seem to have too much confidence in your raid setup. I'm wondering
> if you are using a highpoint semi software raid since you have mentioned
> an AMD machine and IDE drives. You probably are having IDE problems
> arising from the number of interupts needed for zap hardware. Looks like
> you need to go looking for some replacement hardware.

No I hate those highpoints.  Using Standard IDE, the Promise 'RAID' is
disabled.  We have a SCSI box here that's been purchased for the PBX
permanent home, but if this is how the Zaptel hardware makes a box behave,
interrupt loss causing severe disk corruption on a box that is sitting
around doing *NOTHING* then something is severely wrong either with the
hardware, or the drivers.  The box was entirely idle.  Only thing it's ever
done is sit, it's handled a total of 100 test calls as I've been setting it
up and screwed itself up pretty royally twice now.

No hardware, and especially no kernel driver, should misbehave so badly as
to cause a system to hose itself.  For the future I'm going ot have to look
for alternate hardware, but for the moment I'm stuck with the T100P,
TDM400, and Zaptel.

I'm really disappointed in all of this, * has come a long way, however the
hardware is still very young it seems.

I am going to try it in the P4SBR SCSI system but I've stopped holding my
breath.  I'm just hoping it'll work because I'm against a deadline now.