[Asterisk-Users] QoS Router/Software Suggestions

Ryan Wilkins ryan at deadfrog.net
Tue Oct 12 08:18:56 MST 2004

For what it's worth, I just shutdown my PC based gateway last week and
replaced it with an Efficient Networks 5861 ADSL router.  The 5861 is
billed as a Business Class DSL Router.  It comes with Stateful
Firewall, DHCP, NAT, VPN, and QoS (WFQ), among other things.  I have
not setup the QoS yet, but then I've been able to carry on VoIP
conversations without issue, even on a well utilized line.

The idea was to find a suitable replacement with the PC-based gateway
crashing on a semi-regular basis.  Instead of getting another PC, I
just replaced the whole thing.  There are obviously some trade-offs but
for my situation, it works well.

You said you use RoadRunner so this router wont work for you, but
perhaps you have been entertaining a switch to DSL.  I use SpeakEasy
and have had very few problems with them.

If you, or someone else reading this, decide to go the 5861 route get
version 6.1.001 firmware.  The older firmware isn't that great.  You
can find the 5861 on eBay for cheap.  I bought mine for $13.01.  Info
on the 5861 can be found somewhere on http://www.efficient.com and the
firmware can be found by searching for it on Google.

Ryan Wilkins