[Asterisk-Users] Quicknet Linejack Asterisk PBX

Lubomir Christov voip at minitelecom.org
Mon Oct 11 22:15:11 MST 2004

Hello Frank,

my advise is if it's possible to change the LineJacks with some better
VoIP hardware - there are a lot of different FXO Gateways already
available at much BETTER price per FXO port.

If you decide to start testing with LineJacks here are some problems
which you will find soon :)

1. The chan_phone channel doesn't support outgoing dialing from your
Asterisk gateway to the PSTN. One year ago the price adding such a
support (offered from one of the core * developers) was $500-1000 for
adding outgoing dialing :)
2. As I know there are two Linux drivers available for QN hardware: the
old ixj driver and the new nixj driver. Well the nixj driver doesn't
work OK with asterisk and chan_phone - as I remember * doesn't detect
correctly the hangup and doesn't always close the channel.
3. Well if you decide to work with the too old ixj driver ... well then
you know that it doesn't have support for 2.6 kernels - actually the
driver haven't been changed few years :(
4. We had one small old * installation with 4 LineJacks (only the FXS
port) and 4 PhoneJacks with the old ixj driver and 2.4 kernel. Well you
have to know that because of the buggy driver the system was freezing
each 2-3 days and we had to reboot it in order to have the Quicknet
hardware working again ..... :(

Frank I'll repeat my advise: If it's possible just change the LineJacks
with some better VoIP hardware, there are a lot of different FXO
Gateways already available at much BETTER price per FXO port :)
Right now we have around 20 LineJacks and 50 PhoneJacks around here,
which we don't use anymore :)

Best regards,
Lubo

---------
Appradius Project: RADIUS authentication and accounting support for
Asterisk PBX
http://appradius.minitelecom.org/
---------