[Asterisk-Users] POTS failover relays (was Vonage, PSTN, 911, and hardware question)

Lyle Giese lyle at lcrcomputer.net
Sun Oct 10 18:29:38 MST 2004

Technically speaking you would install it directly on the relay coil leads.
It may seem like semantics, but if you had a cutout switch or other
electronics between the power supply and the relay, the diode needs to be as
close to the relay as possible electrically.

BTW, I have only send a few thousand or so of those.  I used to work for the
local telco in old electro-mechanical telco offices (#5 X-BAR & STEPxSTEP).
Almost every relay in those places had a reverse current shunt diode on
them...

Lyle