[Asterisk-Users] Re: Asterisk Certification (was: Open-source VoIP 'will ne bigger than Linux')

Jason Kawakami jkkawakami at optellabs.com
Fri Oct 8 14:34:11 MST 2004

----- Original Message -----

>  >From: <jr.richardson at cox.net>
>

>http://news.zdnet.co.uk/communications/networks/0,39020345,39169076,00.htm
>
> The comments by Hall and the 1.0 release of * signal a Rubicon for the
> project. If anyone has the ear of the principals at Digium I'd like to
> submit that we lobby Digium to approach an organization like the LPI to
> develop a curriculum for Certification in Asterisk.
>
> For those of you that have a very low opinion of certifications please
> try to restrain yourself from vilifying me. Organizations make
> purchasing decisions based on several factors - the technology is just
> one of them.

http://www.digium.com/index.php?menu=reseller_certification

probably only sort of what you are talking about.  IMHO I would like to see
something independent of a reseller channel agreement that is tied to
quarterly volume etc.  Think about how often OS applications change though,
how do you manage staying up to date etc.  Could end up being diluted to
"Fisher-Price-My first OS technology company" where anyone can "learn" how
to access the available resources and flood the M&S market with a bunch of
clueless guys that lean on the smart ones (btw-I do not fit into the 'smart
guy' category) but are "Certified" paper tigers.

i am reasonably new to this segment of things.  how long did it take to get
independent Linux certifications made up?  are any available?

dunno, just MHO

Jason Kawakami
www.optellabs.com
Salt Lake City, UT