[Asterisk-Users] analog callerid private/out-of-area/...

Christopher L. Wade clwade at sparco.com
Fri Oct 8 14:30:44 MST 2004

Hello again,

Right now, I have two phone systems sitting side by side.  One is legacy
pbx that we are in the process of replacing.  Everything is going ok so
far, except for one interesting thing.  I say this because I get such
interesting information from watching both systems interpret callerid.

See the chart below for a quick rundown of what I get... (forgive my
ascii art skills).  What I want to understand, is why my legacy pbx can
detect the difference between scenario 2 and scenario 4?  Asterisk
doesn't show anything in any of the variables.

  A | B | C  | D | E | Scenario ID
===+===+====+===+===+============
      #   #    #   O   1
               O       2
  N   #   N#   #   N   3
               P       4

Legend:

A is ${CALLERIDNAME} inside asterisk
B is ${CALLERIDNUM} inside asterisk
C is ${CALLERID} inside asterisk
D is legacy pbx number display line
E is legacy pbx name display line

# is a 'valid' phone number
N is a 'valid' name
N# is a 'valid' name + number (only for ${CALLERID} inside asterisk)
O is 'Out-Of-Area' or similar
P is 'Private'

[puts on geek cap]

The only thing I can determine, after looking at the callerid code, is
that - and this is a really wild guess - asterisk is _incorrectly_
stripping anything but numbers out of the callerid number field.  This
field is where my legacy pbx places 'Out-Of-Area' or 'Private', but for
calls where all callerid fields inside asterisk were blank.

I haven't read the callerid spec, but if my memory serves me from
previous times when I've tried hacking with other callerid parsers, they
did not throw away *anything* received in callerid.  If the spec says
you should, and asterisk follows the spec, great, I'll shut up, but
otherwise, why is asterisk stripping the number down to only numbers?

[puts on sleepy programmer dunce cap]

I know asterisk strips the callerid number down to only numbers so that
callerid is easier to use inside the diaplan, but couldn't we also have
the 'non-striptease' version available?  Or am I just being stupid and
needing to be walloped with the clue stick again? ;P

Thanks,
Chris

--
Christopher L. Wade                     Unistar-Sparco Computers, Inc.
Senior Systems Administrator                            dba Sparco.com