[Asterisk-Users] Eezee phone?

Kanuri, Seshu (Company IT) Seshu.Kanuri at morganstanley.com
Fri Oct 8 11:57:18 MST 2004

I would like clarify a few things for the record about eezeephone which
is a rebranded version of ATCOM IP Phone, based on the PA1688 Chip.

Netweb Group, Inc is the sole distributor for USA and Canada. Eezeephone
is the OEM Version sold in US market. The URL for this phone is
http://ipphone.eezeephone.com

The Information on WIKI Pages is not all facts. Most of it is fiction or
at most factually incorrect. I feel sorry that Wiki continues to
maintain this information.

Wiki: Grandstreams are sometimes cheaper, I've seen them for about 55
US$

Ans: I have not seen any of them being sold at that price. Can Wiki name
a reseller   who was selling it for $55.00, at the time? Grandstream has
SIP but eezeephone has all the protocols you one needs. Let us not
compare apples and oranges.
Obviously this guy loves Grandstream, for all its button freezes and
resets required every hour.

Wiki: There is no Early-Dial function, you always have to press the
"Call" button after a number. However, this button is rather small
Ans: # is used for early dial determination. No need to press "Call".
Timeout works to place the call.

Wiki: at the top of the phone are 10 speed dial buttons. Even with my
little finger I cannot press only one of them, I always press two or
more.

Ans: I use thumb and other sloppy fingers, But I have never pressed two
buttons at once on this phone, even when I wanted to.

Wiki: the configuration page is rather crowded and sparse, it was not
easy to setup the phone with Asterisk and SIP

Ans: This is completely false. If you have seen Grandstream
configuration and this one, you will know the difference. This (PA168X )
is much more user friendly.

Wiki: the web configuration of the phone is not user friendly. When you
change the config from SIP to MGCP, you have to manually change some
ports from 5060 to 2427.
the web config page doesn't rememeber the activation of daylight savings
time and register-ttl

Ans: Remember that this Phone has 2~n-1 combinations possible. 5
Protocols X 64 Options X 90 Variations. Can you really program that on a
single web page?

the manual comes only as a WinWord *.doc file, not a *.pdf. The pictures
in it are all displaced, even when you look at it with an Original
WinWord and not with OpenOffice. You can find better documentation on
the web site of the Chip (not phone) manufacturer.

Agreed. This is not the prettiest.

Wiki: the phone can download its firmware only via FTP on Request. If
you would have 50 of them, then you would have to go into the web page
each, login, and select the Software upgrade option ...

Ans: PA1688 Group is upgrading this to a TFTPable service setting on the
Phone. But even now you can do it using the PALMTOOL available from
PA1688 Group as well as from the manufacturer.

Wiki: there are lots of useless buttons
Ans: Those buttons serve an important function. They Call out your
configurations - Client IP, Serevr IP, Gateway Address etc in IVR.

Wiki: the phone is rather slow. When you put "qualify=yes" into your
sip.conf, you can see that the "sip-level ping" from Asterisk to the
phone in your network is 55ms. It is 3ms to a Grandstream. Also, you
notice the slowless when you call the Echo application

Ans: Do you know what is the purpose of Qualify=Yes and what the default
value should be?If It is 3ms for Grandstream, it means it is not
working. On this PA1688 phone it works and 55ms is a great timing for
QOS.

Seshu Kanuri