[Asterisk-Users] How to become an IP Service Provider?

steve szmidt steve at szmidt.org
Fri Oct 8 10:48:09 MST 2004

On Monday 04 October 2004 12:06 pm, Mike Meyer wrote:
> * Users,
>
> 	We have had the * running as our office PBX now for the last 3 weeks.
> Things working well with the 5 SIP phones (SNOM200 and GS BT100) and
> access to the PSTN via TDM400P with 2 FXO ports.
>
> 	The next step is to interconnect our multiple stores and configure a
> central * server, centralize and share dialing plans etc. All that fun
> stuff!! In addition the plan is to eventually evolve to using a VoIP
> provider like vonage, att, voicepulse etc to provide a PSTN dialed
> number access to our business through IP to our * server. Or we do this
> and become an IP provider ourselves.
>
> 	This is another market and are exploring the latter, and the
> possibilities of setting up ourselves as an IP provider. Are there any
> good tutorials or cookbooks on using asterisk to set up and become an IP
> provider? I am especially interested in how to get regional and national
> PSTN access from an IP network and the cost to do such.
>
> 	Any links or resources that you can direct us to would be greatly
> appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Mike Meyer

You can terminate VoIP calls (to PSTN) yourself with only one TDM card from
Digium, and of course T1's.

The idea with a VoIP termination provider is that they have many customers and
that should add up to a lot of minutes. Which they get paid for. They have
their investment in equipment, T1/T3 what have you. Getting PSTN access
through them is supposed to be cheaper than you having a T1 yourself.

Done right they should also be able to get lower rates than you can get unless
your bill exceeds something like $25K/mth with a normal TELCO. At that point
(depending on the carrier) you'll get carrier rates, which are mostly below 1
cent.

If you look at the rates various VoIP carriers have they are around 2 cents.
Which is usually a decent price.

You could make the investment yourself and even resell some of your unused
bandwidth and recoop your investment.
--

Steve Szmidt

"They that would give up essential liberty for temporary safety
deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                                Benjamin Franklin