[Asterisk-Users] Cisco Support for 7940, Is this Right?

Paul Dugas Paul at DugasEnterprises.com
Wed Oct 6 05:56:20 MST 2004

Hi all,  Happy Wednesday!

Got a 7940G off eBay to tinker with and, per the wiki, contacted Cisco
about a service contract.  Being just little ol' me, they won't deal
directly and blew me off (I hate dealing with Cisco, Nortel, etc as a
small-business person...)

Again per the wiki, I hit CDW.com and found CON-SNT-CP7960 for $9.14.
Looking for support for the 7940 (not 7960), I just changed the part
number to CON-SNT-CP7940 and it found an entry but had no description.
Called them (via Asterisk and a VoIP carrier! too cool...), explained what
I wanted, was assured that their $9.18 CON-SNT-CP7940 entry was what I
wanted, and bought it.

Got a call back from the sales guy the next day.  He explained that I
really needed the $100 service plan.  We've not connected directly since
so I don't have the whole story but I figure I'd get my ducks in a row
before that.

Can anybody provide me with additional validation of what I need?  All I
want to do is to be able to use this one phone for now.  I want to upgrade
it from the current 3.1 firmware to the more current 7.2.

What do I need if I start deploying more of them?

Can the one software-access contract be used to update multiple units?

Also, is the firmware in the 7940 and the 7960 the same?

TIA,

Paul

--
Paul A. Dugas                               Dugas Enterprises, LLC
email: paul at dugasenterprises.com            1711 Indian Ridge Drive