[Asterisk-Users] Phantom calls on FXO

Christopher L. Wade clwade at sparco.com
Tue Oct 5 11:54:27 MST 2004

Shilliday, Jim wrote:
> I'm getting these "calls" at 16 and 46 minutes after every hour.  The
> SIP phone rings, and if we pick up, we get a dial tone.  If we don't
> pick up, we get the dial tone in a voicemail message.  An analog phone
> connected to the incoming POTS line doesn't ring (whether or not *
> remains connected to the line).

Interestingly enough, this just started *again* in the last 3-4 days.
Nothing has changed in my config, I've not updated to the latest CVS, or
even a _recent_ CVS.  This simply started happening.  So far I cannot
explain it.  99% of the time there is no CallerID associated with the
'dialtone' call, but occasionally there is (seems to be a random recent
caller id entry).

During my initial * testing and setup I attributed these calls, or
similar ones, to the fact that one of my lines has a security system
installed on it and this system will pick up the line from time to time
to verify it can 'phone home' and 'do its thing'.

I have not verified times for this event as of yet, but I'm sure it is
somewhat regular like the OP stated.

Also, not to go off topic, _but_ I have recently begun having more echo
than in my initial testing, and it seems to be getting worse with time.
  On several occasions I have encountered the 'screeching' recently
discussed on the list, but this seems very very rare.  My setup is using
two good ol' TDM400P's with 4 FXO's each.  Every other aspect of my *
setup is working rather well, all things considered.

Thanks,
Chris

--
Christopher L. Wade                     Unistar-Sparco Computers, Inc.
Senior Systems Administrator                            dba Sparco.com