[Asterisk-Users] IAXy - anyone using them yet?

Tue Oct 5 09:21:29 MST 2004

On Tue, 5 Oct 2004 11:27:47 -0400, mattf <mattf at vicimarketing.com> wrote:
> This is a really great ATA adapter, but it isn't exactly feature-rich at
> this point in time.

The whole point of the IAXy is simplicity.

> Here's my IAXy features wishlist:
> - basic network programming from phone interface(like Sipura and Cisco ATAs)
>    - at the very least a little debug message that will speak you the IP
> address
> - basic web interface
> - more codecs, like GSM
> - some tiny holes drilled in the case somewhere for more ventilation
> - version with second RJ45 for passthru ethernet and possibly even built-in
> NAT(OK I know this is far off, but this is a "Wish-List")

I don't think you will see any of that (other than perhaps the holes
for ventilation) in any future version of the IAXy. Any of those
features would require a totally different new product.

When Mark Spencer made some comparison between IAX and SIP, he used
the IAXy as an example to illustrate how little resources it requires
to implement IAX. I can't quote him precisely but his description of
the IAXy's resource footprint seemed like the description of a 1970s
digital watch, I kid you not. Basically, the IAXy doesn't have any
"brains" whatsoever. The whole thing runs in 4K of RAM on discrete
radio shack circuitry and that's the whole point of it. I remember
Mark saying "... this is why it will never support any other codecs
than it does now".

Your wishlist would have to be fulfilled by another product, a big
brother of the IAXy so to speak.

rgds
benjk

Tokyo, Japan.