[Asterisk-Users] Paypal? Available in 44 of the world's approximately 190 countries

steve at daviesfam.org steve at daviesfam.org
Tue Oct 5 04:25:23 MST 2004

Hi,

In the aftermath of trying to register for Astricon, I've been still
trying to re-open my Paypal account.

The credit card and bank account I used are UK-based.  I live in South
Africa at the moment.

Paypal have now formally refused to open an account for me.
Notwithstanding that I have successfully "verified" both my credit card
and my current account following their procedures.  Actually, the account
is half open and can't even be closed because it is "limited"...

This conclusion after a lengthy phone conversation with them in Ireland.
(to put a fingertip on ontopicness - over an IAX2 connection of course).

I discovered here:

  https://www.paypal.com/uk/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=p/gen/ua/policy_closing

that Paypal has reserved the right to limit or close your Paypal account
for nothing more than simply logging in to Paypal from a country not on
the approved list (see clause xxi).

The approved list contains just 44 countries, leaving out about 150
others.  Not a single African country is included on the list.  Even (most
of?) the new EU countries are excluded.

So I advise caution if you have a Paypal account and travel anywhere in
the "2/3rds world".

This appears to be a new policy, as a friend signed up last year using his
South African card, and verified his address using a local utility bill.
So the impression is that we have EBAY to thank for these draconian and
discriminatory practices.

So please, Steve and Olle and others, don't consider Paypal as a suitable
means of settlement for international events.

I know its a rant - I'm sorry.  I feel better now.

Regards,
Steve Davies