[Asterisk-Users] echo cancellation: the never-ending quest for truth

Darren Nickerson darren.nickerson at ifax.com
Mon Oct 4 08:22:19 MST 2004

"Bruce Komito" <brucek at bagel.com> spake thusly:

> Asterisk apparently has five echo cancellation algorithms: STEVE, STEVE2,
> MARK, MARK2 and MARK3.  The current default appears to be MARK2.
>
> My question is, has anyone had any experience with any of the others
> (other than MARK2), and is there some conventional wisdom as to when to
> use one over another?

Bruce,

I asked Mark that question at Astricon, since it seems to me that this
section of the code offers lots of options with little guidance, and I
haven't seen this matter receive any in-depth treatment on the list lately
either (I guess most people simply accept the out-of-the-box default, and
those who do have echo problems for any reason (like us) dig a little
deeper).

He said that MARK2 is the recommended one, and that some people have found
the aggressive option help.

FWIW, we run MARK2 in aggressive mode here.

-Darren

--
Darren Nickerson
Senior Sales & Support Engineer