[Asterisk-Users] Sipura 3000 FXO

Sat Oct 2 10:11:50 MST 2004

On Sat, 2 Oct 2004 11:20:44 -0500 (CDT), Joe Greco <jgreco at ns.sol.net> wrote:
> That seems like a bunch of anti-Windows FUD.

Funny you should say that for Windoze is in itself the primeval
manifestation of FUD.

> > There should be a factory setting that puts the
> > device on a certain private IP so you can just point your browser at
> > that and configure the SPA without having to use an analog phone.
>
> That is actually a lot more complicated..

why? you wouldn't have to use this route if you didn't want to.

>  you want people to have to
> mess with existing network setups?

Well, I have configured many devices that have a factory default
192.168.x.x address and it's a very easy process ...

1) plug a LAN cable into the device and the other end into a Powerbook
2) click on the System Preferences icon, then the Network icon
3) choose "New Location", give it some name, set default gateway to
the factory default IP, and choose an IP address in the same subnet
for the Powerbook, then click "Apply"
4) open a browser, point it at the factory default IP and configure the device.
5) when the device is rebooted, plug both the device and the Powerbook
into a hub, then change the Location on the Powerbook back to whatever
the local LAN setting is called.

The whole process will be a few minutes and most of the time will be
spent on the actual configuration of the device.

On the other hand, it took me a two hour train ride (both ways) to go
and borrow an analog phone to plug into the SPA so I could assign it
an initial IP address. Bollocks.

> Our Windows PC mounts all add-on
> apps from a file server, because I don't trust Microsoft with any amount
> of data.  That means we /have/ to be attached to the FS in order to run
> Mozilla or Opera, so if we change the PC's settings to accomodate your
> proposed model, then we have to change the fileserver as well, including
> all its ACL's, etc., etc...  and then we have to change it all back, else
> we can't use the Internet.

Well, as I said, I wouldn't recommend using Windoze toyz for real
work. Then again, I think that a Windoze notebook will probably be
able to work without your file server and the process I described
above will be not all too different on a Windoze notebook.

In my view, SPA's are likely to be deployed somewhere in the field
where somebody will go and that somebody is likely to have a notebook
computer with them to do their job. That remote site may be a company
with all digital phones, no analog phones.

> Sipura's model is pretty reasonable.  Most networks that have VoIP stuff
> seem to have a DHCP server.  Most people can dig up a POTS phone to
> configure it if they don't have the DHCP server.

Most companies in Japan have digital phones, even the lousiest PBX
from NTT with a maximum of only 8 extensions is all-digital. I have
seen many companies without any analog phone, not even a fax as they
use a computer based fax or a fax service.

But I guess the SPA is designed for the US only anyway. That would
explain the obsession with analog telephones. I personally look
forward to an analog phone free environment.

Now, if Sipura would provide a factory set SIP login on which I could
connect to the configuration IVR menu from a SIP phone out of the box,
then I'd say, yes, that'd be neat.

> address.  But I sure wouldn't want that solution to replace the POTS
> configuration.

nobody said "replace".

rgds
benjk