[Asterisk-Users] Re: Newbie questions

Jason Kawakami jkkawakami at optellabs.com
Sat Oct 2 09:07:08 MST 2004

----- Original Message -----
> Hi all,
>
> I'm new to this list. very excited about Asterisk. I'd like to find good
> docs about it.
> Can you advise me on docs ?.Or even books ?.

www.voip-info.org/wiki-asterisk

www.asteriskdocs.org

I think that a fellow who routinely posts to this list named Paul Mahler(?
sorry if this is incorrect) recently published a book about *.  be prepared
though, as with any open source technology, documentation is '..in
process..'

> If I only want to use asterisk in order for my friends and family to call
> each other by passing through my pbx (without going in the usual telephone
> system) I can right ?.

yes

> All I need in that case is a PC right ?. No Xtra hardware needed ?.

that is correct.  you may need to simulate some ZAP channels to get timing
for certain applications but this is outlined in the references I have noted
above.

welcome, and have fun.  feel free to document your learning processes to
help the next newbie that posts the same question, for if you continue to
monitor this list, you will see this question again.

Jason Kawakami
www.optellabs.com