[Asterisk-Users] Solution to my Grandstream lockups

Barton Hodges barton at gcmcomputers.com
Fri Oct 1 14:53:55 MST 2004

Like many others on this list, I had been experiencing periodic
lockups with my Grandstream products (Handytone 286 ATA & BudgeTone
101).  The lockups consisted of seemingly dead devices, no dialtone or
response, until I power cycled via software or hardware.  The
workaround had been to reboot the device every 30 minutes with a cron
job.  I contacted Grandstream and although they didn't have a specific
answer, they alluded to the fact that lack of registration might be
the cause.

I performed the following:

Increased the "Register Expiration" in the device to 60 minutes
Increased "maxexpirey" and "defaultexpirey" to 3800 seconds
Configured the device with a static IP address
Added defaultip=172.16.1.123 and host=dynamic to sip.conf

It has now been running for 48 hours without a single lockup.  Here
are some of the settings that I am using:

In Grandstream:

Register Expiration: 60
SIP Registration: Yes
keep-alive interval: 20