[Asterisk-Users] Record() and problems converting with sox.

Nick Barnes nick at bcn-it.co.uk
Tue Nov 30 15:18:36 MST 2004

Kevin P. Fleming:
> In other words, to take a WAV file _created by Asterisk_ and
> turn it into GSM, this is all that is needed:
>
> $ sox file.wav file.gsm

Which is where I'd got to. However, it doesn't appear to work - all I end up
with is a very loud hiss....

So that's when I looked at the Wiki and saw the "$ sox inputfile.wav -r 8000
-c 1 outputfile.gsm resample -ql". Assuming that I had made a huge mistake
and sox needed some form of hocus-pocus, I tried that too and got the error
message I initially quoted.

Given that the "$ sox inputfile.wav -r 8000 -c 1 outputfile.gsm resample
-ql" was posted on the wiki and nobody had added any comments to say that
that was wrong/didn't work etc., I assumed that it meant 'any wav file'
rather than what it now obviously means 'any higher sample rate wav file'
(isn't hindsight wonderful!).

Anyway, thank you to everybody who replied. I'll be bound to get to the
bottom of it sooner or later!

Cheers,

Nick.