[Asterisk-Users] Gentoo and Asterisk - any experiences?

Kevin Walsh kevin at cursor.biz
Tue Nov 30 09:23:42 MST 2004

Niels Chr. Sørensen [niels at powerline.dk] wrote:
> In constant search for optimization, a friend told us about his experience
> with Gentoo Linux-distro. He claimed that he doubled the performance of
> his server by changing to Gentoo from Debian.
>
> Does anyone have any experience with running Asterisk on a Gentoo linux?

I use Gentoo - both at home and at work.  You would see a vast
difference between an old 2.4-based distro and Gentoo running 2.6,
but a lot of that would be down to the scheduler in the 2.6 kernel.

If you compile from source then there's no doubt that you'll get a
speed boost.  I doubt that you'd double the performance without other
factors deserving most of the credit.

I do recommend Gentoo GNU/Linux with the 2.6 kernel.  Everything
"just works" (tm) without all the hoops you have to jump though with
other distros - such as Fedora.

 _/ _/    _/          _/ _/     _/    _/  _/_/    kevin at cursor.biz