[Asterisk-Users] T.38 support

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Mon Nov 29 18:15:37 MST 2004

On November 29, 2004 07:01 pm, Steve Underwood wrote:
> Its a pain that a T.38 gateway actually needs to support quite a bit of
> T.30, just so it knows when to switch between  the various modems.
> People ask why I implemented a full fax machine in spandsp, rather than
> just building a modem, and plugging it into hylafax. Well, there's your
> reason. I am implementing T.38 for spandsp, and I need most of a T.30
> implementation to make that work.

OT but I am *definitely* interested in helping you test this.

> T.38 now supports V.34, but I don't know how many gateways have been
> updated to provide that support. Most of the devices I see which say
> they provide T.38 are rather vague about exactly what they do. I still
> don't seen enough V.34 fax machines to consider its use that critical,
> anyway - unless most of your faxing is between two parties known to have
> V.34 capable machines.

Checking our fax logs, almost *every* company we fax (several hundred) all
connect at > 14.4kbps and have the ECM or whatever it's called turned on.

I thought it wasn't very far widespread but in our industry (we're an
industrial power electronics manufacturer, tons of faxing to little offices
here and there all over Canada) it seems everyone has one of these fancy fax
machines.

-A.