[Asterisk-Users] T.38 support

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Mon Nov 29 17:01:40 MST 2004

Darren Nickerson wrote:

> James H. Thompson jht at lj.net wrote:
>
>> T.38 is often put forward as the solution for reliable FAX over VOIP.
>

> With good reason ;-)
>
>> Just wondering for anyone using T.38 (with any equipment), how well does
>> it work as compared to a FAX PSTN call?
>

> Our experience is that it's only as good as the T.30 implementation in
> your T.38 gateway, softswitch etc. Since it's really them having a
> conversation with the remote device, you're relying on their
> implementation of the fax protocol. We recently had a problem with a
> customer's T.38 termination service ... they had disabled  ECM (Error
> Correction Mode) as a general policy across their devices, and as a
> result a lot of our customer' faxes were of degraded quality. The
> provider claimed that when their network started to drop packets, ECM
> caused the faxes to take too long to send because of all image data
> retransmits. Our response - fix your network!

Its a pain that a T.38 gateway actually needs to support quite a bit of
T.30, just so it knows when to switch between  the various modems.
People ask why I implemented a full fax machine in spandsp, rather than
just building a modem, and plugging it into hylafax. Well, there's your
reason. I am implementing T.38 for spandsp, and I need most of a T.30
implementation to make that work.

> I guess that's all just another way of saying 'it depends' ;-)
>
> One thing to be aware of when deciding between T.38 and the PSTN is
> that V.34 fax (speeds above 14,400) aren't possible, so you'll want to
> make sure that the money you save from (presumably cheaper) T.38
> termination is greater than the money you save from spending less time
> on the wire. The speed boost from V.34 is larger for multi-page faxes
> than single-pagers, and penetration of V.34-capable machines varies
> from country to country and vertical market to vertical market.

T.38 now supports V.34, but I don't know how many gateways have been
updated to provide that support. Most of the devices I see which say
they provide T.38 are rather vague about exactly what they do. I still
don't seen enough V.34 fax machines to consider its use that critical,
anyway - unless most of your faxing is between two parties known to have
V.34 capable machines.

Regards,
Steve