[Asterisk-Users] Small PBX setup

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Mon Nov 29 16:31:30 MST 2004

On November 29, 2004 06:19 pm, Gregory Junker wrote:
> I would use a 3-port FXO card (for the incoming lines) and a 4-port FXS
> card (for their existing phones) and just drop-in replace the old system
> with an Asterisk server.

With time spent (or a consultant) for setup you're approaching the $2000 price
tag for the existing phone system repair...  *if* you can get the FXO modules
to behave.  I haven't yet heard of a setup where the TDM400P FXO (or FXS for
that matter) have *consistently* behaved without at least a monthly restart
to clear up some weird problem.

For this reason alone I find it very hard to even consider a TDM400P card or
two - I always suggest a channel bank (Adit600) and T100P, even if the
density doesn't require it.  I'd love to recommend the TDM card, perhaps this
email will be followed up with a lot of "it works perfectly fine for me, no
need for restarts or module reloads, here is my config (motherboard and rev
of TDM card)...

-A.